06 February 2008

Live from the Corner

Let me recap my job for a second. For the last 7 years I've sat in a cube in the back corner of the office. I was left in peace unless someone needed something. If anyone came back near my cube they were looking for me. It was beautiful. I'm really an anti-social person, I like being left alone. I'm really friendly I'm just not going to sit and talk your head off in the hallway. Anyway I sat near 2 people who I really liked. We chit chatted about random things and everyone was happy. Then my boss tells me "you can get promoted but you have to move upstairs to a pod" Now usually I might have pasted but baby needs new shoes and I'm working for a check not to be comfotable. So I accept moving upstairs.

This is the worst... I sit in a big cube that broken into desks so I have no privacy and I can hear everyone's conversations. I've been here 2.5 days and I already know the dude next to me sells all kinds of computer parts and is not getting shyt back on his taxes. Appearently he is broke and just today he was talking about joining the reserves. I should mention that including me there are 6 of us in the cube. 3 black guys, 2 white and 1 asian guy. Normally sitting near a couple black dudes would be a good thing, I mean there cool guys they just keep this place jumpin. I came back from lunch and some random girl was sitting in my chair, well she was not random because I had seen her before but she was talking to some other dude who doesn't even sit here. These dudes seem to know everyone, and everyone comes past to visit. I'm really not used to the traffic. I also sit in the corner of this cube but it's the corner closest to the main hallway. So all day bamma's stop and say hi or stop to see what I'm doing. Usually I have my headphones on so I don't even notice that they are standing right next to me till about 20 seconds later. I'm just not used to this, it's loud up here, my old cube was nice and quiet, everyone up here has custom ringtones on they celly. I thought you put it on vibrate when you get to work? maybe that's just me.

on top of the smaller desk and more company around me I realized that I can't even eat my lunch at my desk anymore. There are too many people around for me to enjoy it. Plus I heard rumors of mice up here so I don't want to contribute to the problem. So now I have to head up to the cafeteria everyday to eat breakfast and lunch. So now I need a lunch buddy so I'm not bored and eating lunch alone. All I know is my new check better make this all worth it.

5 comments:

Ms. Behaving said...

I thought that with a promotion you were supposed to get bigger/better things [???]...

Reads like they done gone and gave you a front row seat to a mad house!!

WrkNProgress said...

Lol, Wow I hope its worth it too. Sounds like a lively little spot.

Marleaux said...

I highly hate for some1 to sit in my chair. Bugs the heyell out of me. I keep fabreeze in my drawer...

And I keep my headphones too. It's an automatic thing. I put them on whenever I return to my desk, and sometimes, won't play a song for an hour, but if some1 talks to me, I will ignore the heyell out of them.

NikkiJ said...

Because you've been promoted, your superiors probably want to keep their eyes out on you. Start doing more work than those in the same pay grade as you (just a little), all while nonchalantly mentioning that you think you could get more work done in a more peaceful environment. Be scoping a spot out. In a few months, mention something like, "who sits there?" Since they won't be wondering if you can be productive anymore they may let you move to your new found spot. I work right under a supervisor, and he voices these concerns to me all the time.

Opinionated Diva said...

LMAO @ the title, "Live from the corner"

Your new space sounds like my current space, which I ALWAYS complain about.

In the end, it'll be worth it.