10 April 2008

Live from the Corner/Joy's of Contracting

Today's kinda a somber day in the corner. We just found out that a bunch of people at my job will be getting laid off. Everyone is whispering in the halls. Basically our department is 2 mill over budget and they need to cut costs. All that means that the "live from the corner" series might be live from my basement in a couple weeks lol. The rumors are that people will be let go based on seniority which is good for me since I've been here like 9 years. But like I told my co-worker "There are things in this world I can control and this is not one of them" so basically I'm coming to work till they tell me not to. When your a contractor you know that your employment is based on someone else's budget. My company has money but the Government doesn't so the contractors are the first to go. It's nothing personal it's all business. I understand that and if they do let me go I'm going right over to the unemployment office to file then I'm hitting monster.com to find a new gig. Till then I'll be right here in the corner working on my resume.

8 comments:

Eb the Celeb said...

Good luck... its hard out here for a pimp... my job is trying to move me so I have been looking lately as well!

MP said...

Good luck at work. If it doesn't work out I hope that you find another gig soon!

CocaColaCutie said...

awww...good luck! though i think you might survive, but working on your resume never hurt anyone.

Ms. Behaving said...

Damn...I can only imagine how hard some folk must be stressing right now....

While I love your attitude about all this, I hope this cut doesn't effect your position.

The Jaded NYer said...

job security has become an oxymoron these days! Good luck with this, but if I were you, I'd already be on the look out for the next possible gig. It pays to be prepared.

Ieisha said...

Good luck with the downsizing and what not...hopefully, you make the cut.

At least they didn't bring in the Bobs and have you re-interview for your job a la Office Space.

But to be safe, keep that resume tweaked!

Keith said...

Heads seem to be rolling everywhere. A co-worker of mine was laid off today. The key is keeping your own head! (Easier said than done, I know.)

One Man’s Opinion said...

I was reading the random post, which made mention of this post, so here I am. I hope you don't lose you job, brother, but I am glad you are already in game for if you do. Some many people don't prepare for such situations. Good look. Now I am going down to read the post under this one.