11 September 2008

Bring it Back Thursday pt.... Sept 11th

I'm feeling real lazy this week so here is another throwback post I did last year about my Sept 11th story. I'll have a real post tomorrow.

On this Anniversary of 9/11 I think I'll recap my day. Well half of it or what I can remember. Before I start I went to NY and saw the twin towers the weekend before the went down. I didn't even think twice about them, they were just some buildings, I was focused on my fake coach and LV purse business.. lol. Funny how quickly things change.

"Were going to war!!" Roe's words echoed thru the office. Getting to work late as usual he began to tell us how he heard on the radio that someone blew up the Department of State building. As I tried to get onto washingtonpost.com I realize that the internet is flooded and it takes like 5 min for the site to come up. On the front page was a picture of one of the twin towers smoking. After talking about it for a while we decided to head up stairs to the roof to get a view of the state building.

Now I don't know about everyone else but word down at my job was that the state building has been hit. Nobody guessed that it was the pentagon until we saw the smoke coming from VA and not DC. It was odd because we could see the smoke but no one knew where exactly it was coming from. At that point being the wise black folk that me and Roe are we decided to leave for the day. They had just triggered the fire alarm and we be damn if we stick around outside 1 block from the capital to be next. Luckily Roe drove to work so we rode out. Traffic leaving DC was horrible I mean everyone was getting out of dodge city. Cell phone service was down so we couldn't check on our moms. Roe dropped me off to my car at the metro and I drove home.
Once I got home my mom was sitting there watching the news. This was odd because she works in VA, close to the pentagon so must have left work way before I did and she didn't even bother to call me at my desk and tell me to leave... lol So I was home watching this unfold on the news and it dawned on me that I had a day off work (yeah kind of fukked up but hey) I had bought some shoes from Nordstrom that I needed to return and I called up the one in Annapolis thinking they were far enough away from any potential targets and they would still be open. Nope they were closing early. Nobody's blowing up Annapolis, I'm just saying that there is no terrorist target there. But they were closing anyway so I was pretty much stuck in the house watching the re-running video of the planes hitting the towers. They really didn't do much coverage of the pentagon, I guess the video wasn't as good. You would think since we are in DC they would focus on the local tragedy and get information for the families of the people who work there. Nope 90% twin towers. So that's my 9/11 story, I learned a couple important lessons.

1. If your in DC during an emergency forget about metro, it's going to be beyond packed and the trains will not be coming quickly.

2. If your in DC during an emergency for get about your cell phone. The lines will be jammed, find a pay phone and take your chances.

3. Always have 1 friend that drives to work, this is important. If Roe has not come to work that day I would have been walking home down Suitland parkway.

God bless the victims and their families, it's been 6 years and I think some more people just died in a fire at the memorial construction site. If you've never been down there you should check it out. It's amazing that all the buildings around there were not crushed. I think they finished rebuilding the pentagon and I heard the memorial for those victims will be finished next year I think. It's like 300 benches or something. Should be nice, provided your allowed to go.

Stay up People.

10 comments:

Big O said...

maybe i'll post and old blog....lol .


but 9/11 was crazy. i still get chills remembering seeing that second plane hitting the tower...insane.

Opinionated Diva said...

Odd that there wasn't local coverage and only coverage of the towers.

That was one of the most insane days I've ever experienced...actually that whole week was insane.

I can't believe you were using the day to return some damn shoes!!! LOL!! you are so abnormal!

Kayos said...

You're right. When emergency happens this world can have all the precautions in place but no one is gonna follow them because of human's innate ability to panic first and think later.

I posted a tribute to 9/11.

The Jaded NYer said...

man.. returning shoes? you're a mess!

after I checked on my family who worked in the city (midtown- far from the towers) I just stayed home (in the bronx at the time) and made my ex turn off the TV. that mess was too close for comfort for me... talk about nightmares...

Sweet KeiKei said...

9/11 was definitely a sad sad day in american history.

i often wondered why they didnt have better coverage of the pentagon. i'm just sayin i'm sure they have cameras all over there just because it's the pentagon so y didn't they have it on the news. just didn't seem right to me

Ms. Behaving said...

No matter what we all were doing or where we all were going, 9/11 is a day none of us will soon forget.

RealHustla said...

Long sigh.

contagiouslyCRANKY said...

I read somewhere that the Pentagon didnt get much attention because they have too many high priority and highly secretive things going on. Even with the tragedy at hand they were probably still keeping the news anchors away.

Kit (Keep It Trill) said...

Hi Super Dave, I just found your blog. I lived 3 miles outside of DC too when it happened. Lesson I learned: in the next terrorist attack, we'll probably be vaporized from a nuke and won't know a thing about it. Beats dying slowly from radiation.

Hey, I'm a single parent too. I think you'll immensely enjoy this post I wrote, Cognitive Dissonance, about how 9/11, anthrax, and all of that affected my family.

Take care and stay strong,
~ Kit

mrs.tj said...

i remember like it was yesterday...i thought we were going to war also...bastards!