16 October 2008

Backstage

So yesterday me and the producer filmed another episode of the best cooking show on the net. My producer/cousin doesn't want his name known so lets call him "Joe Producer" because why should Joe Plummer get all the shine. BTW Joe Plummer is not even a registered voter, I'll be glad when Nov 5th gets here.

Anyway I'm not sure ya'll know how long it takes to film them 10 min shows. We started at 10:30am and didn't start filming till 1:15 or so. All the other time was setup. Joe Producer takes forever to setup. He breaks out 2 video cameras, like 3 bright ass lights 2 digital cameras and some utility belt. I complain that I'll be happy when I have my food network show so I can work with professionals and he complains that I never have a script and my "winging it" gets on his nerves. And how I tend to mumble and not say complete sentences. Its really just us talking shyt back and forth... good times. Even when we do start shooting I have to stop every 2 seconds so he can switch cameras and take still pics. I can't imaging going this for a living. Spending half the day waiting around for people to setup. We wrapped up filming around 3pm. There is so much footage that gets cut we really could release a DVD.

The whole cooking show thing has taken a life of it's own. I mean it was funny at first we were just messing around. Then the first video hit a couple hundred views on youtube. Then Joe Producer started talking about his portfolio and how he wanted me to set up a website for the show. I mean he wanted me to take it serious. He says things like "Be funny" "We need more personality" like he's the boss. This almost feels like work. You know how hard it is to be funny on que? So I was thinking about where the whole thing was going. Should I be planning jokes? should I continue to just talk and see what happens? I mean all the past shows have pretty much been freestyles. So I send my brother the link to the show. He watches 1 episode and simply says

"Your a Fool, but this is Genius. I want in."

and with that I feel worlds better about the whole thing. Oddly enough I've only shown a couple people in my family the show much like my blog it's contained in this big internet world.

I'm rambling, I might do a part too to this but I'm done for now.

18 comments:

Opinionated Diva said...

You do mumble. I’ll look for the blooper reel in the mail…thnx!

Wait...you have a brother? Is he older and just as cute??? lol

When you start making enough money and need an assistant (not as in cooking assistant...i mean as in an executive assistant) call me. You definitely need someone to remind you that spellcheck is your friend! lol

Anonymous said...

(Sean Biggums)

- lol it all makes sense now.. the way you act and the hassle.. it shows man, yall should outline production.. but for the way u say it is, i guess it comes out pretty nice..

Big O said...

If you got the passion for it....get serious and get funny!! lol

Sexxy Luv said...

i thought this was something you took serious.....I say keep free styling and focus on cookin' the jokes will come if need be. lol :)

RealHustla said...

I say go for it, but Joe is right, you gotta prepare and stop winging it. However, that going into the cabinets to get the ingredients is hella funny, it so real, but it takes up time. Your #1 complaint is about how little time you have, so try to cut out steps like looking for shtt.

You should do your mac n cheese next, cause I'm sure yours doesn't taste as good as mine and isn't as easy.

Ieisha said...

Glad to know life ain't all fabulous for the new star of "Cooking with Dave", lol.

But you are doing well. You're usually your own worst critic.

I can't wait for the next show!

contagiouslyCRANKY said...

WTF @ JOE THE PLUMBER NOT EVEN BEING A REGISTERED VOTER!!!! IM MAD AT THAT...ya girl took off NOV. 4th and 5th ...NATIONAL HOLIDAYS (in my book)

The True Urban Queen aka Sharon said...

First you know I have only recently started reading your blog so forgive my ignorance.

I didn't know about the show so I had to go give it a looky.
(okay I may have had a clue)

Cool beans.

You are supposed to prepare for those things. But hopefully have the right state of mind that when a moment opens itself you can say something funny and witty without a script.

FREEDOM said...

Davey...I think it is great that you are doing something that you enjoy doing and will be able to make some good money off of this SKILL too!

Follow your passions you never know where they may lead YOU!

God Bless and Keep up the Good work!

You know women love a man that can cook lol!!

QB said...

I agree with the mumbling thing... is it a confidence issue? i doubt it b/c if it was you wouldnt be there... just be concious of it. And maybe a bit of a script would be helpful... cue cards reminding you the really important things to tell the audiance and the jokes will come into that...

keep it up if you enjoy it.

Ms. Behaving said...

I'm still trippin' over the fact that I was not extended an invitation to your cooking blog.

What my comments about how much I hate shrimp and crabs or how I don't eat every other fruit/vegetable you've made IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU???

LOL

Super Dave Van Buren said...

@Diva - making money? who maked money off this?

@Sean Biggums - You a bamma for using a fake name... Damn family

@Big O - lol.. all these orders

@Sexxy - Naw All the episodes were just me joking around.

@Hustla - hhmmm Mac and Cheese. Hey I just film stuff chopping it up is Joe's job

@Ieisha - Thanks for the support. Next show should be out soon

@Cranky - Can I get a day off? Please talk to my boss about your "holidays"

@Sharon - Hey nobody's perfect... lol

@Freedom - I don't know if it's so much a passion as it's me trying to help my family out. thanks though

@QB - I always mumble it's just a bad habit. I usually say stuff for my own amusement so it doesn't matter if other people hear it

@Ms. Behaving - sssshhhhhh!!!!!! the cooking site is still under construction.

E2Deep said...

Your funny ass hell in person and on the internet, keep doing what you do best!

MP said...

everything fun seems like it takes so much work. I'm clearly way too lazy to have fun.

I enjoy your episodes. Keep it up.

Opinionated Diva said...

I mean when you're rich and famous Dave. Stop acting like a Bama!

mp1 v.8.0 said...

You cookin, n***a! lol

The extent of my cooking is the grill or frying a burger.

Ms. Behaving said...

Ooooops...MY BAD!! LOL

Sha Boogie said...

I'm usually at work when you post a cooking show and I'm blog hopin...so I never get to really watch with volume,lol.

But, I'm on the couch now!