21 October 2008

Bring it Back Tuesdays.... Hustle Shop

I wrote this diddy back on Nov 26, 2006. I was reminded of it while getting my haircut this weekend.

I've been going to the same barber shop for like 12 years or so, It's a great neighborhood, family owned shop where the beauty of the DC area can be seen. You sit in the shop on any given Saturday and you're likely to be offered anything from anyone. People come in selling sandwiches to cases of iced tea. You need the latest bootleg CD no problem, smell good oils or even socks. Everyone there has a hustle even the barbers sell energy juice and run part time travel businesses. Long story short it's a great place to spend a Saturday morning, everyone is happy and you never know what kind of deal will be walking thru the door.

This last Saturday I was waiting to get my haircut (1.5 hour wait) and this lady walked in with a bag. She began to do a semi fashion show of clothing she was selling. Now I used to sell bootleg stuff myself so I know it when I see it. Plus her Gucci fanny pack was a dead give away. I was just amazed that she went from the barbershop to the beauty salon next door to show off what best could be described as a doggie coat. Then she came back to offer the men in the shop some jewelry. The kicker about this whole scene is that she made a couple sales including several via credit card. She pulled a credit card machine out of her bag and hooked it up the barbershop telephone. I've never seen anything like it. I mean who carries a credit card machine around? My hats off to this lady she is my hustler of the week!!!

Earlier this year my barber moved to a different shop. So this past saturday I was in this new barber shop (You just can't let anyone cut your hair, I'd follow my barber anywhere) and 1 dude comes in selling DVD's and another dude came in selling dress shoes. Who the hell buys dress shoes while waiting to get a hair cut? And dude selling the shoes had on some Ferragamo's... you got on $300 shoes on and you trying to sell me some bootleg $40 ones? Even one of the barbers said "what happened to people selling CD's and socks?"

17 comments:

Ms. Behaving said...

LOL @ dude trying to push a pair of dress shoes in the barber shop.

Actually, I'm all for supporting a hustla...

As a matter of fact, just last week when I was in the hair salon, I bought about sixty bucks worth of Victoria's Secret body lotions for just $20.

It was crazy too cuz in addition to the lotions, chick had all these bras, panties and thongs on sale too! I'm talking straight out a duffle bag! [LOL]

Had to pass on those though...

The True Urban Queen aka Sharon said...

I got a long lecture from this older black woman when I brought something of a guy on the street once.
She told me that supporting that thief was taking jobs away from someone with a family. Cause when stores lose they don't hire and unemployment rises.
So, I haven't brought anything I think is stolen in years because I can still hear her voice.
The nighmares.

Anyhoo, I can't stand fake purses.
But, all about her having a credit card machine I am impressed. I must clap for her hustle.

kei kei said...

lmao at the credit card machine.

wow....i just read true urban queen's comment and that makes good sense. i just don't know if i can pass up on a good deal, especially when they come around with the victoria's secret lotions. lol

Opinionated Diva said...

Applause for the woman with the credit card machine...that's good business sense, since we all know people love to buy stuff with money they don't really have! lol

Totally agree with True Urban Queen. I never looked at it that way, but then again I rarely buy from "hustle man" and I absolutely hate buying bootleg bags/shoes/etc.

I was at this salon in harlem...dude came in SELLING A CAR!!! I could not believe it...a friggin car! Too much.

The Black Russian said...

omg that barber shop is a trip lol...Okay I would be Leary of a women with her own credit card machine!!!! I would think Identity theft... sorry I'm paranoid like that lol... anyways I always see stores with more than one hustle going on...check cashing place/laundry mat/cell phone store..or check cashing/insurance company/jewelry store...and my personal all time fav...The record store/cell phone store/jewelry store/coat store/video game store.. i kid you not!!!!!
somebody always has a hustle going on lol... remember hustle man from the fif floor(insert 4 fingers here lol)

BorednTalkative said...

Damn at the credit card machine. She was smart. I can't knock her for that.

BorednTalkative said...

There is a store near my old house that is a chicken shop/pizza delivery/video rental/internet cafe. There are loads of them in London. Everybody's got a hustle.

DiamondsR4eva said...

Don't ever come to ATL, Niggas will sell u socks, dvds, cds, gold watches, Fucci, Pendi, Catch, and everything else on the streets on the trains everywhere. Even be in mid conversation with someone and see a "customer" and go into pan handler mode it's quite hilarious.

RealHustla said...

Many times I've been able to get the real stuff for the same prices they selling the bootleg stuff for. That's when I worked in San Francisco.

I used to try to follow my sons barber wherever he went. Till he started thinking that I was following him cause I liked him. That was the best hair cut my baby ever had too.

contagiouslyCRANKY said...

lmao ...hustla of the year fareal.... I dont really come across them too much.. unless i go visit downtown l.a ...maybe cuz i live in whiteyville

Opinionated Diva said...

PS: I can't believe you've been blogging since 2006!! Now I have to go raid your archives.

Sexxy Luv said...

dang! she had a CC machine?...she does deserve the award of the year! lol funny ish!

Ieisha said...

Obviously enough people bought the knock-offs so that he could afford the $300 Ferragamos...but then again, do we really think Hustle Man paid full price for those? Sike!

And still laughing about the CC machine...what the hell? Free market commerce is no joke!

The Dreamy One said...

dont knock the hustler,lol

that man said everyone needs a pair of dress shoes,lol

i like being in the beauty salon, you hear some interesting stories

and yeah who has a credit card machine???

lmao

pink said...

i feel you on following your barber anywhere...im like that too about my hair AND nails...AND eyebrows lmao...i have separate places for each one too....lol.

One Man’s Opinion said...

Doggie Coat...so funny. Hey, can I just say that the Barbar shop is like a living blog, where people just say and do whatever the hell they want, without the fear of being judged. My old barber shop had older people so the conversations were really interesting in nature. But my barber got his own shop and like you said...you can't just let anyone cut your hair, and I followed my brother. Younger babers, different conversations.


Okay, now you know I can't let this slide. In this day and age of idenity theft, who the hell would use a credit card with someone buying bootleg crap?

Mocha Dad said...

One of the barbers in my barber shop bought some bootleg Nikes from a hustler and then complained that they hurt his feet.