29 November 2008

The Growth - Birthday Edition


Today is my 29th B-day. well not really today since I'm typing this in advance. You think I'm blogging on my birthday? no way buddy.. lol Today is Nov 18th, this will post on my B-day. I'm sitting in a waiting room so I might start to ramble. I don't have work distracting me lol. I always take my birthdays as a chance to reflect on my personal goals.

When I was like 19 I just knew I was going to be married by 25 and making 6 figures. Yeah neither one of those happened. My early 20's were really odd, remembering how much I worked back then. I didn't have time to build no relationship to get married. I was on my money grind. I'd meet nice girls, go out a couple times and go right back to my paper chase. Women were nice but not as nice as dead presidents. I Never took the time to focus on them. I've always been the kind of person who is running around, doing multiple things at once. In college I went to school full time worked part-time and tutored people in between all that. Damn Studying I was on my paper chase. Everything was about that paper, Hell I even hustled people in tonk in high school. I didn't hit up the parties, have crazy drunken weekends or wild threesomes. I hustled, day and night, It was boring really. I wished I had enjoyed my 20's more. i had fun but i could have done sooo much more. Even after I got a full-time job I was on the run. I continued to worked 2 jobs and went to school part-time, not because I needed the money just because I'd rather work then sit in the house or run the streets. I didn't care about graduating. I just wanted to stay busy. I figured making money or going to school was better than sitting around, everything I did had to be productive.

Me and my cousin bought a house together when I was 22 and he was 23. He said I was the best roommate ever because I was never home. I left for work at 6am and didn't come back till 11pm, everyday. Even on the weekend I was gone all day. I came home to sleep and that's about it. I can't recall cooking 1 thing in that house. My cousin might have been my biggest role model back then, but that's another blog. It wasn't until I bought my own house that I actually spent time chilling at home. I didn't know it at the time but I was really ahead of everyone else my age. I always hung around older people so everything I did seemed normal. At 21 I was making more than my mom, went to vegas for my b-day, I was buying my mom and sisters Tiffany bracelets and coach bags. I think my niece was the only kid in her middle school with a real dooney and bourke bag. I was eating out with random girls all the time. Now that I think about it I was BALLIN!!! lol Sure it was materialistic but I didn't care. I enjoyed doing it. I never gave it a second thought, I made money and spent money, I was just living life. Now I look at other people who are in their 20's and I realize my mind was in a whole different place, not so much a better place just a different one. 10 years can change you in alot of ways. I'm not as much as a hustler as I used to be, I've slowed down and smelled the flowers a lil more. I'm not so obsessed with my bank account and FICO score. I value my relationships more, not just with women but with my family and friends too. I spend more time building them and less time building my shoe collection.

I'm still chasing my 6 figure dreams too. The last couple years I've been kinda dormant. I haven't done much besides being a dad. I feel like I'm being lazy. I'm slowly getting back into my groove though. I've been coming up with a dream for me and my fam. The youth of my family are crazy talented. I want to channel that into something that can fuel their dreams. I want to see them succeed. See my 6 figure dream isn't so much about the money as it's about opening possibilities. Think about how much you can do if you don't have to worry about bills and such, My day dreams used to be kinda fuzzy like an abstract art. I couldn't focus on them long enough for it to make sense. So I just had an idea of what they were. Lately they have been more and more clear. The more I think about it the more possible it seems. Music, Movies, Clothing, Acting we can combine all that and crank out projects. I'll be 30 next year, I'm still young. The last 10 years I've pretty much created a base to chase my dreams. When I was 19 I thought I'd be retired by 40, But really what would I do retired? I can't see myself sitting around the house all day. Hopefully by the time I hit 40 I'll be in a place where I can choose what I work on and focus on my dreams, whatever they may be. Anyway I'm starting to ramble, this is getting too long. In short i'm planning on spending the next 10 years back on my chase, only this time I'll be chasing dreams instead of paper.

I hope everyone had a Happy thanksgiving 2009 right around the corner.

23 comments:

brran1 said...

Happy Birthday man. Enjoy it.

RunningMom said...

Happy Birthday!

QB said...

Happ Birthday. It's always nice to reflect on where we have come from and where we want to go.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Happy Birthday and I hope your dreams do come true!

The Dreamy One said...

Happy Birthday sweets!!

Everyone has a destiny in life. Its good that you know yours. Your gonna succeed if you believe and keep pushing people forward.

Have a wonderful birthday!!!

The Jaded NYer said...

Happy (belated) Birthday!

And PS- being a dad is not being lazy... just FYI...

The True Urban Queen aka Sharon said...

Happy belated Birthday.

You are still young. Follow your dreams. Make that money.

FREEDOM said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVEY!!!

I understand what you mean about things beginnning to BEcome MORE FOCUS thus making the Pursuit of our Dreams something that IS REAListic!

GO GET EM BABY!!!!!

Ieisha said...

Congrats on the longest post you've ever written, lol.

It was good though. Insightful. Thought-provoking. All that jazz.

You are building a brand. A legacy. I like that. We need more positive vibes like yours out there.

Good to know that you've found the balance between making your money grow and cultivating those relationships.

Now all we gotta do is find you a wife.

How's that relocation package coming along? Lol.

Caspar608 said...

Happy Birthday Sir.
For your birthday present, I would like to recommend two books that I believe would help you with your endeavors...

1) The Richest Man in Babylon.

Short book, paperback costs about 6.99 on Amazon. I promise you the lessons you learn in this book will make you millions if you apply them to the way you handle your finances.

2) The Alchemist.

Please, please, please...read this book.
"Every blessing ignored becomes a curse". This is another short book, but the way it opens up your heart and elevates your consciousness...man, so many good things will happen. Not only that...you just might find your soulmate.

Happy 29th Birthday. And many, many more.

Peace, cas

RealHustla said...

Ahhh, sorry I missed your birthday post. My head is in another place right now.

You look the same now as you did then. Yep, that's Dave as a baby. So cute.

I knew a few individuals like you back in my 20s. They were hard to connect with. I was too, but it wasn't because I was chasing paper.

I have a cousin who this post reminds me of. He's 39 and has a wife 10 years younger and 3 stair- step children ages 4, 2, and 1. They seem very happy.

I know, I hate people telling me to wait, cause it will come too. So I won't. Cause in my mind, I should have been that 29 year old with the husband who wanted babies.

Oh well. Hope we're still in touch when your dreams are realized.

kayellejaye said...

Happy Belated, Old Man! Nice post.

Opinionated Diva said...

Wow @ your baby picture! Absolutely adorable...and you look just like your daughter!!!

I love when you get all insightful...had me believing you might actually be smart lol.

I have faith in you...eventually you'll stop being a LAZY BUM (ha ha) and go after what you really want to do!

sweet kei kei said...

cute baby pic

happy belated b-day!!!

Sha Boogie said...

Why do you look EXACTLY the same in the baby pic? Scary! lol

happy birthday, you old fart!

Melody.Darlene said...

uggggh im late! happy belated bday!

Cherish said...

happy belated. seeing this makes me want to reflect on my goals. i often think that maybe im too young to think the way i think. i mean im only 22 but i feel i should have way more accomplished than what i do have. i dont own anything but my car and i dont have my degree but when i look at my friends i realize im doin 1000x times better than all of them i often think maybe i need to slow down and enjoy my 20s but slowing down only makes me move slower and i cant i just have to many goals i need to reach. let me stop rambling all over your blog

Ms. Behaving said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! {What an adorable baby pic} :-)

Your plan is in place...now, all you gotta do is make it happen.

GO FOR IT!

Tha BossMack TopSoil said...

Happy B-Day Peoples!

Lexelle said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!

Casual Butterfly said...

Happy Belated! Came across your blog & loved the post. Thought I would speak before I exit. Take care & good luck on chasing those dreams. :)

E2Deep said...

I know I'm late but havent been on in a while happy belated!

Sexxy Luv said...

How did i miss your birthday?...oh well HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

good luck wit hthe plans, i know you can make them happen.