13 February 2009

Valentines Day (Repost)

This is a post I did last year for Valentines Day... I'm being lazy about it this year. Most ya'll weren't reading my blog a year ago anyway so it's new to you.. lol

"Why be nice 1 day and be an ass the rest" That quote from high school shaped my current view of Valentines Day. It was from some girl I knew, I can't remember her name, but she was talking about how the day is overrated. I thought about what she said and she was absolutely right, if your with someone and you love or care about them then why wait till Feb 14th to show it? why not buy flowers and balloons any other day? Besides the fact that it will mean more to them if it's a surprise you get the bonus of everything being cheaper in non-valentine season. They sell roses outside my job all year long. Usually it's $3 for 6, Today... $10 for 6. What the hell? I could wait till next week and get someone roses out the blue for cheaper and get more of an effect.

I've always just kinda skipped this holiday, too much hype around it and it seems like it's all designed to make people spend money. Plus if it was a real holiday I would get the day off work, since I'm typing this live from the corner it must not be a official holiday.
When people ask me who is my valentine I always say me or nobody. Then women always say "your daughter is your valentine".... uuummm no. I spoil her lil ass everyday, I refuse to spend this psudo holiday buying more crap for her. She can go to school and share cards, eat some candy or whatever but she is not my valentine. Valentines day is for lovers not showing love to family. If that was the case than I would have to get my mom, sister, neice and every other woman in my life something. Like I said if you love someone you should show it everyday, not just 1. Don't be nice 1 day and be an asshole the rest.

10 comments:

buttahflychronicles said...

So outside of Valentine's day, when was the last time you bought a lady some flowers and candy?

contagiouslyCRANKY said...

I dont know I think "Why be nice 1 day and be an ass the rest" is something that you say to justify not getting any extra love for Vday. Even if its not a tangible item I would defintely appreciate a lil extra lovin.

Kayos said...

Valentine's day is a commercialized occasion for the candy and flower sellers. It's a marketing ploy to give females another excuse to try and make a brotha stay on his job. I don't believe in this kind of foolishness. It's a waste of time. If a person has to use Feb 14th as a day to express his love isn't even worth wasting any more time on.

Anonymous said...

Personally I love Valentine's day, yes it is a commercialized holiday to show appreciation for the one you love but the same could be said about Mother's Day and Father's Day

Ms. Behaving said...

I couldn't agree with you more...Valentine's day is just waaaaaay overrated.

Opinionated Diva said...

Guess whose blogger ban has been lifted!!??? MEEE!!! lemme hurry up before the snitches get the ban added back!

Anywho...I think it SOUNDS nice to say you should do all the lovie dovie crap all year long, but lets be real...it just doesn't go down like that. I agree you should do it all year long, but one day to make it EXTRA special is not a bad thing.

get the li'l mama some candy man!

Bombchell said...

hmm maybe when i have kids, ill make vals day like xmas, or with xmas philosphies, about being selfless, and wel volunteer somewhere, or invite friends over that we love like thankxgiving.

but my boo better spoil me! even if its a love letter lol

Creative1k said...

I wasn't reading ur blog this time last year, so it's cool to see a different perspective about Vday. I don't know about acting an arse every other day, but I don't see doing something a little out of the norm for this one day, but that works for on the regular as well.
Hell I spent the day in the gym and nail shop.

clnmike said...

I see your point.

dopelikelouboutins said...

This was my first Valentine's Day in a serious relationship so I enjoyed myself, showed my presents off on Facebook ...not to rub it in the single folks faces but to celebrate the holiday with a gift from the boo and not a family/friend loved one lol. When I was single I never felt 'bitter' bout the day but it has a way of making u wish u had soemone for at least that day...damn marketing ploy that makes millions smh