07 April 2009

Well Now I know...

So I was talking with my friend about our childhood and I mentioned how I don't remember anything before 5th grade. I mean NOTHING, my earliest memories are of elementary school. So after remembering that I do have baby pics and I'm not the real life Benjamin Button I began to get worried. I mean I know I forget alot of stuff but what if I have some repressed memory. Was my family hiding a secret from me? So the next day I called my mom. She had to know right? She wouldn't lie to me. Our convo went something like this:

Mom: Hello....
Me: Hi mom
Mom: Hi pumpkin! (I mean she IS my mom)
Me: You know I can't remember anything from before I was 5?
Mom: Oh that's good.
Me: No... No it's not, I'm concerned. Did anything happen to me as a child?
Mom: Well Davey you did hit your head alot, you were always hitting it on something.
Me: Oh gee thanks mom
Mom: *laughing at me and telling her co-workers about my hard head*
Mom: That was before child services cared about the kids
Me: Oh so you just dropped me all the time...
Mom: Well your were a happy baby.. a very happy baby.
Me: Yeah I probably had a concussion.

So if you ever wonder what exactly was wrong with me, now you know. I suffered numerous head injuries as a child... lol

14 comments:

Ieisha said...

Confused....you don't have any memories before 5th grade or the age of 5?

Clarification needed cuz if it's 5th grade, we should worry, lol.

My first memory is from when I was about 3. It was of the first apartment we had. It had a crackhead floor plan that always stood out to me. It's been verified with family and thus, I know how old I was.

I digressed.

So which is it? 5th grade? 5 years old?

Super Dave Van Buren said...

Sorry Ieisha, My memory ends around 5th grade maybe 4th but yeah no 3 y/o memories.

The True Urban Queen aka Sharon said...

I don't have many memories either.
I wanted to forgot some and erased them all.
Don't feel bad.

Ms. Liryc said...

Dave don't be alarmed, so many people don't remember what happened to them before the age of 3, it has been psychology found that since we have so many memories a lot of them are repressed or deleted to make room for new ones. and also since it was during the earliest stage of your life, the learning stages many things were deleted to make room for new ones, ones that would be stored for future reference and those that would be beneficial to you as you grew, you don't remember learning your name but you knew it, and by the time you were 2 you knew who you were because everyone called you by your name. WHat tends to happen though through constant brain waves is that little snippets resurface through feelings of deja-vu... but its all memory!

Don't feel bad. There is nothing wrong with you... I think!

BorednTalkative said...

I don't remember much from my childhood either.

Opinionated Diva said...

Glad Iesha cleared that up...I was confused too!


Lmao @ ur mom telling her co-workers about ur hard head.

Anonymous said...

Now I know why you were sitting talking to 2 statues (lol)!!!

buttahflychronicles said...

You know, if your momma decided that she's going to keep a secret from you about your childhood forever, I know you didn't expect for her to just come clean with one phone call. You gone have to work on her.

I remember when I was toddler little, but there are some parts in the middle of my childhood that are just blank. I don't want to try to find out why. I'm grateful for the repression. Yes, balloons, rainbows and butterflies.

buttahflychronicles said...

And oh yeah, I can remember as far back as 2. Stuff like falling a sleep in auntie's laps and getting baths in the face bowl. I was tiny.

contagiouslyCRANKY said...

lmao one concussion too many...

Sha Boogie said...

hilarious! well at least your mom was honest, all my mom will tell me is that she found me on a corner and felt sorry for me, LOL!

Ms. Behaving said...

Oddly enough, I can remember A LOT of things about my childhood...

::whispering:: It's my adult life that's a huuuuuuge blur.

LOL

The Dreamy One said...

lmoa, it must be a boy thing cause my brother used to do the same thing.

i think my memory loss comes from me falling out of the bunk bed when i was little,lol

i dont think i can remember anything before 5 either,lol

ninamm said...

My theory is that memories like that get lost if you don't commisserate with family and friends about them over the years. I don't think any of us independently just remembers how our mu'fuckin' day was when we were 4. LMAO!

But uh yeah...you'on have no friends?