22 July 2009

Why You Mad?

Some days I think black people are just a lil too sensitive. Any time a corporation that pokes fun at us and our culture we yell stereotypical and racism. case in point this KGB commercial I had never seen till @MissesTiara posted it on twitter.




When i saw it I laughed. Because I could really see that happening in a hair salon. People got offended but I'm not sure why. Plenty of black women wear bad weaves, it's not like they were lying, hell my safeway sells them. Black women talk about other black women with bad weaves. When a company mentions where they come from it's stereotyping? If they made a Amy Winehouse weave joke nobody would have cared.

Here's the thing, the commercial didn't say all black women or only black women wear yak weaves. They just said where the weaves come from. If it was a bunch of white women getting weaves put in nobody would believe it. Lets face it, white women wear lace front wigs because they can't wear tracks like black women. so the commercial wouldn't have worked the same. Lace fronts are usually human hair... that's not quite as funny. Also if it's so offending how did the talk all those black women to act in it? those weren't people in black face, those were actresses who though the commercial was good and would get them on TV.

Anyway I laughed at it, if your offended call up Tyler Perry, Debra Lee and every other black movie/TV show producer and tell them to stop making jokes about black womens weaves in their movies/TV shows. Negative stereotypes are pushed by black people all the time, We laugh at them but when other cultures make the same stereotypes we get mad. All i'm saying is we need to not be so sensitive, as usual if we really want a change we have to change ourselves.

14 comments:

Kingsmomma said...

Shit was Hilarious. People are just too damn sensitive. I don't see too many people asking Debra Lee to cancel the "Baby Momma syndication hour" (or half hour, I don't know)

Some real B.S. right there

True2me said...

I haven't seen it...but the truth hurts...

If you not a weave wearer then why do you care ...

Kingsmomma said...

but riddle me this:
why when i looked at this in youtube did it show Beyonce serenades fan in the related videos section

Tiffany Nicole said...

That's funny! I like! I got locs and you would not believe the number of white women who share the SAME beautician with me! Yes she sews their weave in just like any other sista! Their is nothing offensive in that clip. If anything it's ignorance on the weave wearers behalf. Why do you think they call it YAKY Hair???

Babs said...

I think it's cute.

Colleen said...

that was hilarious.

maybe the way the wome were speaking could have been considered "stereotypical" more so than the wearing of hair that was not grown from their own scalp.

EVERY DAMN BODY in Hollywood or the Music Industry wears some type of fake hair. EVERY. DAMN. BODY.
Every color. Every sex. Every persuasion.

Caspar608 said...

^^^^^^

That was me up there. Sorry.

FLAMBOYANTchiq said...

I was offended.

I guess that is the only question young sistahs would ask.

By the way we already know where weave comes from.

What’s up with the eye bulging coonin?

The reason why brothers aren’t offended when you see this kind of crap is because
that’s how you view us.

Ghetto and uneducated. Society does as well, that’s how it made it on the screen.

40 something and fab said...

Good post... I agree...."negative sterotypes are pushed by black people all the time"...I dont give these movies/tv shows the time of day when I see them acting a fool....

Ms. Nikks said...

First of all, great blog. I enjoyed it. I'll add you to the Blogroll!

You are absolutely right when you point out that Black women are acting in it. If anyone is to blame, it's them for participating, not the people who came up with the concept.

I thought it was hilarious. All there commercials lately are funny.

The Lioness said...

I agree that, as a whole, we can be too damn sensitive sometimes. It was a funny commercial. No lies were being told and if it were black people wearing the KGB t-shirts then there'd be no complaints.

-Q. said...

Good post, vid and topic fam.. Im gonna call it what it is- its not sensitivity, its a double standard. Plain and simple.. I dont like it at all times and i do get offended but we been doing it since Pryor. Going in on tha white fols and everyother race for that matter.

Let it be them its letters and outcrys.. Its Fights and folk (in aenjoying comedy and random jokes alike) getting jumped for being out of place..

Alot of folk take it as -well its our right. For all the shit we take, which I can understand. But at what point do we address that we do the same thing and are really good at it. Everybody i know at the drop of a dime who's black can go in HARD on some white folk.. -Q

Very good discussion man

xxxx said...

everyone i know keeps speaking about this commercial this is my first time seeing it and honestly i do not see the big deal. there was nothing wrong with it and you are right there are black people acting in this so clearly its not that big of a deal

contagiouslyCRANKY said...

I agree that if it were "us" making fun of ourselves there would be no debate on whether or not the commercial was appropriate. The commercial is funny as hell so I really dont see the big deal.