17 November 2009

Baby Boy

In my last post I mentioned how I'm uncomfortable with women serving me. Then few women asked me about it so I figured I'd expand a little.

Despite being the baby boy my mom never babied me, for as long as I can remember I fixed my own plate and took care of my self. When I was sick she bought me meds and left me alone, She cared for me but wasn't my caretaker. I remember once I fell off my skateboard (I was a skater before it was hip lol) and busted my head open, I ran home with blood rushing down my face. My mom sat me in the lay-Z-boy and but some ice on my forehead. Never even considered taking me to the ER... lol I think it was her way of toughing me up since Daddy was gone.

Fast forward to adulthood.... Girls would offer to care for me when I was sick and I'd just reply "I'll be ok" mean while I'm throwing up all kinds of insides and shivering under 8 blankets, lol. I've been stuck in bed for weeks and still wouldn't ask for help. I'd manage to get things done myself or I just wouldn't have it. I always felt bad asking for help. Call it pride if you want but it's just what I'm used to. Even when someone offers to cook it makes me uncomfortable, I feel like I should help or contribute something. The whole idea of sitting and watching TV while someone cooks me dinner is just weird. I'd much rather us cook together. At the same time I'll cook dinner for someone else in a minute and not expect them to contribute anything. Yeah that's backwards and I'm ok with it.

plus we all know that dude who confuses his girlfriend/wife for his maid. She cooks for him, cleans up after him and he doesn't seem to even that she doesn't have to do any of that. He just never seems grateful. Them dudes always bothered me and I never want to be like them.

I'm the kind of guy where if you ASK I'll say no, but if you just DO not only would I not complain I'd be forever grateful.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mom did a good job raising you because it aint nothing worse than a mamma's boy!!! They are the worst. Always want you to do do things for them and like you said totally ungrateful. Don't get me wrong I love taking care of my man but I do want to feel appreciated and know that if Im not around he can continue on. ANd sometimes take care of me!

Ms. Behaving said...

I know a few men who could stand to learn a thing or two from you...

Ieisha said...

I heart Dave.

I will say this is where you and Mister are alike. If I ask, he'll always respond 'no'. But if I just do, he'll love it.

I like the fact that you want to help with dinner. That's always worth a few brownie points with me!

And if you do ALL the cooking.....ooo wee, shut yo mouth! Instant panty dropper!

♥PrettyPacino♥ said...

I'm the same way, but it's interesting because you attribute it to your mother toughening you up, to be a man. As a woman, I interpret it as my mom teaching me to be self-sufficient so that I can take care of myself without a man's help (it's a strange but interesting phenomenon...) although my man loves to cook and clean for me, and I don't ask for it, but (as you said) when he does, it's greatly appreciated!

Ms. Insatiable said...

I guess this is the reason why I dreamt about you. LOL

Caspar608 said...

all the dudes I ever knew wanted to be babied.including my brothers, my sons, my male friends...

their Dad used to want to be babied...but now, when he comes to the house to see his kids...he asks if I need anything. changes the lightbulbs in the ceiling fans, fixed the stove handle for me, cooked dinner on the rotisserie last night when I just didnt feel well enough to cook.

its a beautiful thing when men are independant.

great job Dave : )

jaila said...

This makes perfect sense because I am the same way. Its almost painful to allow someone to help even when I know I can't do it all myself.

In fact in my opinion, the second you allow someone to consistently help you out, is the moment you become dependent on them (even in the slightest form) Keep being you.