04 November 2009

Courting....

My co-worker was telling a joke about marshmallows and fire when he mentioned that this guy courted a girl for 2 years. So being the single guy I am I ask if my co-workers courted they wives. One of them courted his wife for 6 months... 6 MONTHS!!!! This got me thinking if I could court a girl that long. I mean courting means your trying to gain her admiration. Not date! So that's basically flirting and either not asking the girl out or being rejected and coming back for more.

Now I've left women that adored me and chased after women who just refused to give me a chance but I don't think I've ever seriously courted a girl for any extended length of time. I'm not counting girls you know and never showed interest in. I'm talking about meeting a woman making it clear you like them and pursuing them. I've maybe gone a week or 2. After that I'm asking you out if I'm really interested. If I'm shot down I evaluate the situation... Is she worth persuading? Maybe, maybe not. I couldn't see me chasing 1 girls for 6 months with much less 2 years. Maybe courting is a thing of the past or maybe its the exact reason I'm single.

So my question for the ladies is have you ever been courted? Or for the dudes.. Have you ever courted a girl? Maybe we should bring it back into style lol

12 comments:

Ieisha said...

If that's the true definition of courting, I need a reality check.

Hell, it sounds like stalking. I'm just saying, that's what it felt like.

Mister "courted" me for a few months. 3 at most. Partially due to distance at the time and my reluctance to be in a long-distance relationship.

inc23 said...

LMAO i agree with Ieisha. Courting that long does sound like stalking or at least borderline harassment.

Then again if you are just taking it slow and being friends as first with the intentions on seeing where it goes that could be considered courting which seems less aggressive. I think because "to court" is a verb it seems more aggressive but it may happen more often than we realize.

Kingsmomma said...

hmmm I think i'm being courted right now. Poor fellow.

crys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ms. Behaving said...

So wait...You mean to tell me that there are women out there who are being courted for 6 months and in some instances a whole 2 years?!?!?!

Damn...I feel so short changed!!! LOL

Ms. Insatiable said...

Courting is a past time that isn't appreciated anymore. I've been courted and it was for about a year and a half. I finally gave in and let the guy ask me out. We had a great relationship, I regret having ended but you live and learn. One of my most recent ex's courted me for 3 months and it was grand.

I do think that the reason alot of us are single is because we go from zero to 60 without gaining slow momentum. Slow it down and enjoy every moment.

Tiffany Nicole said...

I was courted by the SO for years. We meet in high school and i really didnt give him the time of day. I was the classic nerd and he was the bada** boy who did what he wanted when he wanted. On college breaks I would run into him exchange hellos and so on. Last year we "found" each other and I finally gave in! This man really had a thing for me then and now its greater that we are together.

contagiouslyCRANKY said...

Is it still courting if there is fornication involved somewhere in the 6 mths.?? Random im just wondering.

♥PrettyPacino♥ said...

I was courted (before I even knew fully what the term meant) by my current boyfriend. We met at the state fair, but he lives in another state so he courted me for about a year, writing poems and letters (one was 11 full pages long lol) and during this courting period we became best friends. When we finally started dating, I realized how the courting stage really does make a difference. I've always felt loved and appreciated, even before we made it official. Saturday is our 3 year "going steady" anniversary lol...

Opinionated Diva said...

lmao @ Contagious!

I'm going to agree with Iesha...that sounds like stalking to me.

I've been courted (that word just doesn't sound right to me!) a few times. I'm not sure I like it. If I like a guy, I expect to spend time together and go on dates.

If a dude is intent on persuing me and isn't interested in going out (DATING), I usually think he's not really serious and I stop taking his calls.

brran1 said...

Hmm. This is definitely a good question.

I have courted a woman before and I'm actually attempting to right now.

I definitely think that you have to take your time with people so that things happen naturally.

P.S. I love this... said...

I like the idea of courting. My now, Husband, courted me for 13 years. We started out as co-workers, then casual friends, then best of friends and after a while of realization on my part, finally a loving relationship. I'm ecstatic how life played out for us and wouldn't change a thing.

Love your blog, saddened by the situation with your BM, tickled by your humor. I hope things work out for the best. =)