20 November 2009

Cupcakes and ish

I should have never learned how to bake. It ruins stuff for me, like all these cupcake shops popping up around town. I think it's a crime to pay $3 for 1 damn cupcake. Especially when I know I can make a two dozen for about $10.

Sometime last year I want to Red Velvet in DC. I was highly disappointed. My friend was more then happy with it, I told her is was garbage and I could do better. When you know how to make something you judge everything different. Fast forward I'm at lunch with the same friend and she says this place Hello Cupcake is the truth. I'm willing to give it a try so we go in.

First thing I notice is the design of the place. Pink and white, real girly I just couldn't see 6 dudes walking up in there to buy some cupcakes after a night of parting... lol Are cupcakes feminine? don't answer that... All cupcake places have some crazy flavors, my friend says the pumpkin spice with cream cheese icing is good but I need to try something crazy. If I'm pay $3 for a cupcake I want it to be something I'm not going to make at home.

I decide on a Elvis, it's banana cake with peanut butter frosting. Yup just odd enough for me and my money. They toss the cupcakes in the bag and we take a seat. 1 bite and I know these people are CRUSHING that Red Velvet place, it's really moist and rich... Good stuff. I'm a lil jealous, so I'm sitting there thinking I need to make some more cupcakes. I just need some more exotic flavors, I don't want to sell them i just want the challenge. I get a bite of the pumpkin spice one and I KNOW I can make that. I have a ton of pumpkin to get rid of and I've made cream cheese icing before. A plan forms... I'm making pumpkin spice cupcakes this weekend.

10 comments:

BorednTalkative said...

I hate you right now. lol Cupcakes aren't really that big here in London, so if I want some, I gotta make 'em myself (or get mum to do it). But the Elvis and the pumpkin spice cupcake sounds really yummy.

All now I'm still waiting on my pumpkin pie. hmph

Caspar608 said...

People make a big deal over magnolia in NYC. I think it sucks. The cupcakes taste like they are packed with sawdust and ground rat bones. The frosting is OK, I make better at home. Their coconut buttercream cake is ok though. And I sure do lub some red velvet cake...but everybody screws it up. I only had one really good red velvet cake...I made it.

Maybe you need to start a business. Goldman Sachs has pledged to give away 500 million dollars over five years (100 million) to small businesses as an act of contrition for the role Goldman played in the near collapse of the US economy. Look into it...everybody loves a GOOD bakery/coffee shop. GOOD meaning GOOD, not passable.

Sunday morning coffee cakes, rolls, bagels, pastry. Go for it SDVB. You can name the bakery after the baby, put her likeness on the bags. Like Wendy's....

Caspar608 said...

sorry, I meant to write *100 million per year over 5 years*

inc23 said...

ummm since you aren't selling them... do you need my address?

i always get frustrated when people tell me something is amazing and i taste it and it's the most mediocre crap in teh world. if you love those cupcakes they are offically on my radar!

Anonymous said...

Cant wait to see pictures!!!!

Ms. Insatiable said...

You make the cupcakes, and I'll be your taste tester. I consider myself a cupcake aficionado so I got you. Just ship them to Atlanta and I'll send in my review.

Try something like caramel coffee bean, or a pink lemonade with strawberry flavored icing. Oh! Try a margarita flavor with plain vanilla frosting. Yum!!!

Ieisha said...

Don't be knocking the cupcake spots. Darius has started his own business and it's booming! The Cupcake Gallery is open for business AND taking internet orders. (Did I just give a shameless plug?) Oh well, if I did.

I've had his cupcakes and they are the BIZ-NESS!!! Them joints make you wanna slap yo mama!!!

I could compare if a certain someone, *cough, cough* Dave *cough, cough* would send me some or a plane ticket........(voice trailing off leaving you to draw your own conclusion, lol)

At least post pics of the pumpi=kin spice cupcakes.

Thoughts of a Southern gal said...

Where do you live again?! LOL I love to be a taste tester.

Ms. Behaving said...

Mmmmmmm...Cupcakes <<<--- Ain't NO fun unless Ms. B can taste one!! LOL

Ms. Liryc said...

Damn homey its been a minute since I've been here but I will try and stop by and read when I can.. but on to your cupcake escapade...

Cupcakes should taste moist and fluffy and just melt in your mouth (pause... LOL LOL)

Like Caspar608 said in NY they make a big deal about Magnolia.. I wouldn't agree and say that it tastes like Saw Dust but they aren't all that great.. I prefer Crumbs... its so much better to me.. the cupcakes are bigger and they taste delicious!! and I mean mouth watering..

As for red velvet.. man I can't take anything away from Cake Man Raven in Fort Greene.. Its just that damn good!! If ever in NY you have to take a stop by because it is just that darn good!! I don't care what anyone else says its the TRUTH!!!!