05 November 2009

Ideas of people

"I think you like the idea of me more then the actual me" I once said that to a girl I was breaking up with. It was my genuis moment of the year... lol She had this idea about who I was or who I could be, only thing was it didn't match who I currently was. Once the truth that actual Dave was not like her dream Dave settled in we had disagreements about it. She wanted me to change and I had no intention of doing it.

Funny thing is she was right. I just didn't recognize it at the time. She saw my potential even when I didn't. You ever meet someone with loads of potential? Someone who has skill but doesn't use it. It's kinda sad, you want to help them, push them in the right direction, boost them so they can reach the sky. Sometimes your able too help but only IF that person wants to change. See even if the world sees someones potential it's wasted if that person doesn't. It's even worse if they know their potential but avoid the change necessary to make it happen.

When you meet these people you develop a "idea" of who they could be. Not so much about who they currently are. Its most noticeable in sports. A would be star player with all the right skills is just never is able to put them together. They have a average career when everyone just knew they would be a star. Too convert that "idea" into reality takes work. You have to decide you want it. Then you need people around you who want it FOR you. You have to have people who share your dream.

I know people in love with the "idea" of their mate. Who they could be, if they only did x, y and z different. Problem is that's not who they currently are. Until they embrace the change needed to make it happen it's just wasted talent. Your idea of them will never happen.

I was over my friends house a few weeks ago when "A Bronx Tale" came on. I love this movie. When I saw it was about to come on the TV I got happy, of course she had never seen it. So as I tried to explain what it was about and why it should be her favorite movie of all time I remembered my favorite quote from the movie. "The worst thing in life is wasted talent" The main character Calogero's dad told him this. It's actually the main message in the movie, you see both how talent is wasted and how it's nutured. Everyone has talent it's just a matter if your are using it or wasting it.


*** I'm so mad at myself for not reading more books, I miss being smart lol. You can blame the recent rash of posts on "the power of now" which has sparked my mind back into working for me not against me ****

7 comments:

Kingsmomma said...

well at least you are reading again...

I know the feeling of being in love with the idea of what that person could be....but its dumb, kinda like spending way beyond what you can afford because one day you will afford it....until that money is in your hand...your broke...kinda like love

buttahflychronicles said...

I feel this way when I love Ishmael, which is all the time, lol. He's litterly the most talented person I've ever been this close to. I have to see him be great, I have to. Hope he doesn't break up with me.

Ms. Insatiable said...

Dave, I totally felt this post. I felt it in my bone. Damn. I see this everyday and what breaks your heart is that you know that it may be too late for them to ever change their ways. Like the door of opportunity has closed and they can't get it back.

In love, it hurts the most...and that would explain why my heartbreaks everyday. Yet, you have to keep on pushing.

♥PrettyPacino♥ said...

I think I feel this way about my boyfriend now...I never really thought about it, until reading your post.
I feel like I just see success in both our futures, and I try to focus on the now, as well as keep him encouraged so that he knows I believe in him and that I support the steps we're both making to grow together. There's a difference between trying to change someone and building upon successes WITH them..in my opinion

Opinionated Diva said...

I'm laughing at you laughing at your genius moment of breaking up with someone...something so wrong with that! lol

Ieisha said...

Digging all these "genius" moments you having.

And I can I just say, A Bronx Tale is one of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITES of all time!

Betchu didn't date an Italian girl! Well, I had my moment with my Italian stallion. He still wants to marry me right now, lol.

The SagaciousGirl said...

I dig this!
Often I think that once someone gets to know be that they become disatisfied with who I am. Perhaps they see a different me that I have the potential to be vs just wanting to alter me to suit them.