26 February 2010

Building Empires

A friend of mine sent me this post

http://brandonsaintrandy.wordpress.com/2010/02/19/hemis-titties-and-and-bacon-a-return-to-glory/

I had never been to dudes blog before but damn if I didn't love this post. It was one of them posts you sit back and wish you had written.

While reading it one part stood out to me.

The creation of wealth, empires, buildings, and organizations has since the dawn of time been man’s work. It has been our mark on the world, what we proudly show off to friend and foe alike as our legacy.

It stood out because It got me thinking about my empire. You know the one thats in my head, the one I never work on building. As a kid I used to gather all my G.I Joe's and transformers together and just look at them with pride. It was my lifes work! Lol... So what about now? Besides trying to raise a little girl what will my empire look like? I though about that for a solid day, Thats a long time in my random mind. It doesn't have to be a financial or commercial empire. Just a legacy that i can be proud of.

I tell people to say something nice at my funeral. Not that I'm morbid or anything I would just like to think that if I really really helped or touched you then you would take a moment and talk about it to try and comfort my loved ones. So when I pass my daughter will know her dad did good. Your legacy will be remembered, empires do fall but they are not forgotten.

So my new motto has been “We building legacy's” I told my cousin this when he mentions taking me to the grammys. He's part of my legacy too, when my time is done I want to be able look back on my life with pride.

The point is if people take a moment and think about how they want to be remembered I'm sure they would make better choices.

6 comments:

atruhollywood said...

If people take a moment and think about how they want to be remembered I'm sure they would make better choices.

PREACH!! Wow just the post I needed this week. Im going through a period "WHAT IM GONE DO" with my life and this has helped push me in the right direction!

Lena said...

I always say I'm building a cathedral ... they take so long to develop and you may never see the end product, but you have faith that whenever it is complete, it will a magnificent work of art.

It's actually my approach to parenting. It's hard to keep in the forefront of my mind when she's tripping, but it keeps me going.

Ieisha said...

I like this post of yours. Uplifting and optimistic.

My approach is that I'm working towards getting that building named after me. And it won't be named after me b/c I threw a ton of money at something but b/c I stood for something SO great & wonderful that in remembrance, it would be nice to have a building named after me in hopes that it was being used to create others in my image.

And as for my funeral, I want nice things said but dammit, they sticking to the 2 min cap cuz my service can only be an hour.

Caspar608 said...

My legacy will be that of a woman who struggled up the mountain, developed spiritual callouses that made it easier for me to keep my grip on what must be held, and let go of that which no longer serves me.

I will be known for the length and width of my feet...legendary in fact, because I have had to break my foot off in many an ass. Its not easy being me.

My priorities were always in order, my love consistent and my hustle unstoppable. Self respect was never an issue. I had to show neither tit nor ass to get attention or recognition.

My children are nations. And they, too, will be legendary. I didnt sit around and wait for someone else to pay my bills, put money in my purse or pocket, drive me anywhere, feed them or myself...and when I felt I was ready to move on to the next episode I went back to school.

My kingdom is past, present and future. I sit on my throne with ease and surety. There isnt a bitch out here who can snatch my crown from me.

12kyle said...

Good post, fam!

Legacies are very important. Especially to those of us who have kids

Redbonegirl97 said...

That is so true. Your legacy is the most powerful thing that you can leave behind.

Tiffany
http://liferequiresmorechocolate.blogspot.com/