08 March 2010

Day Trip

This past saturday me and Puffy (@seansundance on twitter) went to NYC. We had every intention of getting into town at 10am. We had a couple things in NY we wanted to do/see and wanted to get a early start. Turns out both of us kinda went out friday night and he didn't get to my house till 8:30 or so now we were shooting for 1pm.

Even though I have driven to NY plenty of times I always forget how much the tolls are, it's like $20 in tolls one way. Next time I'm just taking the train. Anyway driving to NY is all gravy until you hit the NJ turnpike. That is the worst stretch of road alive! the best thing about it is the rest stops which feature overpriced snacks and random places to eat. Where else are you going to see a arther treachers and roy rogers? Anyway the ride was traffic free until we hit the Lincon tunnel, luckily it was a nice day so sitting in traffic was not unbearable.

So our first order of business was to meet up with @kingsmomma and get a burger, this was easier said then done. See I parked in manhatten near times square and she wanted to meet on the Lower East Side which is like 1 billion blocks away. She suggested taking a shuttle then the train. I had no idea what she was talking about but since I have been on the NYC subway before I wasn't worried, I should have been. We got on the nearest train station and I remembered how different the train systems there are. Lets just say 1 hour, 3 trains and 6 blocks of walking later we were met up.

So me and cuzzo met kingsmomma (KM), her sister and her son. In case your wondering KM says I'm taller in person and I sound like I'm from philly. More importantly her son is funny, he randomly scared this white lady in the street and runs in a zig zag pattern, it's great. We went to this burger joint called Paul's, Really good burgers and the waitress was kinda crazy, but in a good way. KM and her sister might me twins separated by a year, I'm not even joking watching them interact was too funny. It's like they talk mentally to each other. I'm sure they complete each others sentences all the time. They collectivly decided to tease on puffy since he was wearing a stocking cap. It was great, I should have stepped in and stopped them but hell I hate his stocking cap too lol. Anyway we had fun. Here's a pic of the burger


After lunch we decided to hit up the FAO Schwarz toys store... why? because it has a huge piano on the floor thats why. After another subway trip we end up at the toy store. FAO has the toy game on lock, while walking around I spotted this lego chewy



and bought my daughter the blackest barbie I've ever seen





Then it was off to dinner with @jazz_kat, @msbehaving and @shesayswhatever. The resturant was across the street from where we parked so I kinda knew how to get there. I didn't trust the train though, I told cuzzo it was about 15 blocks away.... His reply... "thats it?" so away we walked. We ended up getting to the resturant early but we could have been 45min late and still beat msbehaving lol. She got the late title but it's cool, we just waited outside and people watched. New Yorkers are a crazy funny bunch. Here are my mental notes from the evening

- We ate at Havana Central, a cuban place that has a picture of the Dos Equis dude on the wall. No, I'm not joking.

- Jaz is really a diva, everyone else rode the train. Jaz got dropped off via car serivce.

- In case your wondering Jaz feels like I'm her height and says I sound Country with a K and 2 E's. Like I'm from Nashville.

- Shesayswhatever is a Jedi master at people watching, she called me out for taking a candid pic of Jaz. After that I was unable to take my phone out without everyone eyeballing me.

- Shesayswhatever can now be called giggles. She laughs at more stuff then I do.

- Msbehaving is picky about food, She doesn't eat olives or strange looking beans.

- Msbehaving taught me that the all the meat on a rib is not equal. As it closer to the bone it doesn't look as good and should not be eaten, I never knew! lol

After dinner we drove back home, I wasn't even tired until I hit NJ turnpike... Then I had to pop a 5 hour energy. I had never had one before but Let me tell you it does NOT give you energy it just keeps you up. There is a difference lol. Didn't get home till 2am and as soon as I hit my pillow was I out. Of course I woke up a 8am on sunday.... smh

All in all it was a fun day/night, next time well get there earlier and I'll try and meet up with some more of my favorite NY bloggers.

12 comments:

atruhollywood said...

JEALOUS! ThatIsAll.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

You can google the trains in NYC. Put in your address/destination/landmark and ask for public transportation and it will tell you what train to take. It would have saved you ALOT of time.

Havana Central is a kewl place. Did you like it?

And lastly stop disparaging the NJTpke! You had to use it to get from there to here and since Sat was nice there were a whole lotta folks doing the same thing you were! Imma Jersey Girl, y'know! *LOL*

Remnants of U said...

You said the tolls cost a lot, bit isn't the parking in Manhattan expensive? Sounds like a fun day. I haven't been to NYC in a long time.

buttahflychronicles said...

Sounds like a fun bunch of people and great food. Maybe I'll be able to hang out with ya'll one day.

Thoughts of a Southern gal said...

Did you eat the whole burger?

I was waiting on that twitpic. LOL

Ieisha said...

I am so jealous of your day trip. And that you got to meet so many bloggers. And that you got to play on the huge piano at FAO. And that you found the blackest Barbie around. And that you had a good ass burger.

But I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

Redbonegirl97 said...

Sounds like a whirl wind trip. I can't wait to get back to NY. My boy better have some decent places for me to eat other than the crappy McDs in Brooklyn. an hour wait on some dayum nuggets, that still pisses me off.

Tiffany
http://liferequiresmorechocolate.blogspot.com/

Jazzy said...

lol @ Iesha!

@ AtruHollywood...the next time I'm in Cali - we are hanging out! I'm slightly scared to hang out with your young azz though!

@ Dave...LOL, I forgot Liv said that about her ribs. lmao!! She is VERY picky about her food. Good times though.

Kingsmomma said...

I completely forgot he scared that white lady until reading this. That was hilarious.

we must do again...tell the cuz to lose the head condom tho :)

Ms. Behaving said...

Glad I could school you in the meat eatin' department!!!

Me?!?!?! "Picky???" -- I like the term SUUUUUUPER selective more! LOL

T'was a pleasure meeting you Dave!! :)

P.S. When you gon' hook me up and the kids up wit s'more of those cookie bars?!?!?! **Oh and I ain't fallin' for the whole it got mixed up in the mail THIS time either** <--- Just a friendly FYI!

phoenix said...

It was so nice meeting you and your cousin.

The bars didn't even last a full 24 hours in my possession lol! They were good --- thank you again :)

Super Dave Van Buren said...

I'm going to try and be a better blogger and reply to comments, well see how long it lasts...

@atruhollywood - We are jealous you live in sunny cali lol

@Carolyn - We had google and GPS working on our phones.. still got lost lol I like the resturant I got roasted pork and it was real good. I'm sure Jersey is a wonderful place BUT the turnpike is horrible lol

@Remnants of U - Parking was expensive but I was ready for that, I'd rather pay for a garage then let NYPD tow my car!

@buttahflychronicles - If you make it to NYC I'll be happy to drive up again and hang out.

@Thoughts of a Southern gal - Yes I killed that burger lol. I tried to get the pic, maybe next time lol

@Ieisha - Thank you.. I did have a good time

@Redbonegirl97 lol you went to NYC and got nuggets?? yeah thats a fail!

@Jazzy - Your lucky I forgot about the pic by the time we left. I should have posted the pic I had lol

@Kingsmomma - Your lil dude is funny, I think ya'll teasing cuzzo was a turning point in his life lol

@Ms. Behaving - It was a pleaure meeting you too. I'll be sure to put you on the mailing list for cookie bars... it might be the only food you eat!

@phoenix - Your welcome and it was nice meeting you too, I'll add you to the mailing list too lol