This week I wrapped up my court drama (well the criminal part of it) and of course I have notes from my time in the courtroom:
- The first judge we had was SUPER slow. I mean even the police officer were getting annoyed by how long cases were taking. This bamma even forgot to swear in a witness... smh
- Pant suits are not sexy, really get a skirt ladies
- I know I mentioned it before but Bamma's really don't dress up for court anymore. I saw more then 1 dude in gucci print pants and way too many black hoodies.
- If your ever in a court room go sit next to the cops. They are the funniest people in the room. They get excited when the case is called early and they get to go home and they tell the best stories.
- Sitting in court you hear the craziest cases, this chick caught a assult charge because she got into a fight with her Baby Daddy. She pulled 2 bats out her trunk AND a box cutter. I think she just got house arrest lol
- Being a State attorney must be a fresh outta school job. About 90% of the ones I saw were young and didn't seem to have it all together.
- I know I was in the court too many times because the State Attorney remembered me by name and face. I guess it helped that I was in the same courtroom and sat in the same seat every time I went.
- Some People looked real stressed in there, Me? I kept thinking about what I was going to eat once I was let go. #innerandouterfatkid
- The wack ass meter at the court house takes coins and Credit Cards. No dollars. Lots of people were stuck lol
- We had this 1 young black judge. Dude was on his shyt. He demanded all men tuck their shirt in and pull their pants up before he would address them. He was taking no BS reasons for continuance. Overall he was a hard ass. My kinda dude, I wanted to give him a fist bump lol
Last thing, My BM HATES me. Get this... she had a assault charge against her which carries a max 10yr prison. My charge carried a max of 18months. So the State Attorney made a offer. If I refuse to testify against her and she refused to testify against me we would BOTH be found not guilty. I was like cool, I just wanna go home and I highly doubted she would get any real jail time. Honestly it was more of a deal for her then me. My guess was she would get probation or something. I was sure I wasn't going to jail or going to be found guilty. She should have jumped at it. 10yr is no joke, even if you only had to serve a week. Who wants to go to jail for a week when you can be found not guilty? Who wants to sit thru a trial? So they ask her if she is willing to do it.... NOPE. She wants to go to trial... smh. I guess she would rather see me get in trouble then avoid going to jail.
In the end the States Attorney just dismissed both cases, my BM looked pretty pissed about it. Maybe she didn't understand what she was facing. I was happy, dismissed is better than not guilty. It's like it never happened.
Other thing of note... I've learned to only answer questions that are asked. I had both cases against me dismissed and not once did I have to discuss the merits of my case. Nobody asked me what the facts were, I just sat around and waited. My BM was talking to any and everyone she could. She super looked stressed, I just left the situation to god and focused passing the time. I knew I didn't do anything wrong and in the end it worked out.