12 April 2010

Live from the Corner...

If ya'll didn't know, during the day I'm a IT contractor for the Fed Govt. While this is great work sometimes it leads to frusterating situations. Case in point...

My annual Performence review was due in Sept, I didn't get it till Feb. This is part my fault because I forgot about it and didn't ask till December. A good HR department would know it needed to be done and alerted my boss but whatever. So after Feb I hound my boss to get it done so I can get my raise. We finally knock it out and he sends in the paperwork to HQ.

Now I don't work in the same building as HR and in 10 years I've never been to my company's main office. The only time I see HR people is when they come onsite to visit us.

So my paperwork is over at HQ and I hear nothing... couple weeks go by, no raise and no word on anything. So I finally email the HR dept and ask whats up. Thier response? They wanted to hold out on performance reviews because our contract is up for renewal. So I can't get my money because ya'll might not win the contract in a couple months? Even if they don't win the contract they are getting paid off the current contract. It's not like they are paying me out of the petty cash.

So now I'm a lil pissed. Granted I wouldn't have gotten much in a raise buy shyt thats still my money. Now I don't know if I should be rooting for my company to win the contract or not lol, either way I'll have a job.

6 comments:

Martha.... said...

The HR dept needs to be on top of its game. Its losing its credibility; but ideally you should be rooting for your company to win the contract, but with the circumstances surrounding the situation, it would be hard to. So, its your call based on what you feel is comfortable.
Good luck with that!

Monique said...

What?! Playing your money is like playing with your emotions! LOL

Jewelry Rockstar said...

That's some bull. It's never good when companies start playing with the raises and sh*t. I've worked a few who have done it, and it's usually an indication of some more bull to come.

RealHustla said...

Being that this is a personal services contract, maybe no one will win it. Are the Feds gonna hire you on directly? That would be cool.

Anonymous said...

lmao@ paying out of petty cash!!! Dave you are hilarious!

RaShauna said...

Hi Dave,
Do you have any pointers for seeking out an IT positions like yours? My friend received his MIS in December 2008 and is on this career track. He uses the job search agents on USAjobs, but if you happen to have any other advice, I'd really appreciate it.