09 January 2011

Me... Charity??

Sorry for the lack of posts.. my laptop got hooked on crack and I had to send it to rehab. Unfortunately in rehab it did some soul searching and decided it didn't want to be a working laptop anymore.... long story short I had to get another one.

So anyway a little before christmas I was chilling at work surfing the net when my cell rings. It's my daughters school. I'm sure all parents get worried when the school calls in the middle of the day, my mind started racing as to what it could be. Was my daughter hurt? My Baby Momma acting a fool? Is there a bomber at the school? Its funny because when they call the first thing they say is "Your daughter is fine" then the lady proceeds to tell me that LMS has been selected to receive a gift from a teacher and they were sending it home in her bag.

I was like cool, thats nice of them but there is no way you can send my daughter home with a wrapped gift and not expect her to open it asap. So after she tells me about the gift she mentions that they are also sending home some "gently used" clothes... *record scratch* this lady just said she was sending USED clothes home with my baby. Why on earth would they do that? Does my baby look like she needs clothes??? I couldn't decide if I should be offended or not.

Wait let me explain a couple things.. my daughters school requires uniforms. White polo shirts and blue khakis to be exact. Its not like her shirts or pants had holes in them or were dirty hand me downs. Now she does constantly spill stuff on her shirt but shyt so does every other kid there. Even if she looks dirty by the end of the day she looks good to being it.

When I got home and saw the clothes it was 2 skirts and a shirt. 1 skirt was broken, the fastener didn't work but they other skirt was cool. Since they sent skirts I started to think that they were clothes the school couldn't use since it was winter. They keep backup clothes at the school just in case the kids have accidents. Since its like 30 degrees outside you can't just randomly send little girls home in skirts. That said they decided LMS could use them... Maybe they felt bad for her since they know all the drama between me and her mom but whatever the reason I was offended even if they didn't intend too.

I went out and bought LMS new uniforms, tossed the broken skirt and just decided to pretend it didn't happen lol

11 comments:

~EssenseVibez~ said...

good post--being a elementary employee who use to wash clothes during the day for kids that did have accidents or came to school dirty, i think them passing clothes to your daughter was an act of kindness--i don't think they thought she look like she needed clothes--a little help goes a long way--so don't be offended--now for parents who do send their kids to school filthy and in broken down clothes on a daily, children services need to be called--that way they can get the much needed help they can get--you on the other hand are doing a fantastikal job with your daughter---remain blessed!

Babs said...

Hmmmm...my first instinct was to be offended. I dunno, I'd probably call and ask why they sent the clothes and then give them back. I'd tell them to give them to someone that needs them. I think it's the broken zipper thing that pisses me off the most. Don't send me your rags!

Shawn Smith said...

Why is the first thing I thought of when you said they were sending clothes home with her was Rochelle from Everybody Hates Chris. How she always said that her kids weren't going to be a charity case.

Sha Boogie said...

Yea.. i would have been offended, lol. I love hand me downs from my friends with kids in my son's age group, but from daycare or school.. hmmm..NAAH!!!

Anonymous said...

I work in the public school system and have the responsibility of chosing families that need assistance. Its a tough job but I usually only help people that kids are in need such as those with broken zippers on coats or no coats at all. Even then you would be surprised how many people dont want help. Most are very appreciative but it can be difficult when the parent refuses and you see that same child come in dirty in the morning.

RealHustla said...

I'd be offended.

They have an organized uniform swap at our school. When Puah had accidents they wanted to act like I was being unreasonable by asking them to go into their stash of uniforms to let her change instead of me driving 45 min to pick her up immediately. I had to argue with them about it every time. Bitches.

Maybe the staff just wasn't thinking deeply enough. All Puah wanted was skirts in the beginning but now she want pants because she doesn't like tights. Maybe someone heard LMS talking about wanting to wear skirts and said something to make them feel sorry for her. "My daddy doesn't buy me skirst." Kids have a way of making their parents sound like losers, lol.

Anyway. Just talk with the person who called you. Don't act like it didn't happen because it will happen again. Next time say something right away. "What made you decide that she could use used clothing?"

Ms. Behaving said...

I have to agree with the majority on this one...

Not ONLY would I be offended but I'd take em' back AND question why *out of alllllllll the other children in the school*, they decided to give MINES the hand me downs.

Mmmm hmmm...ig'nant as hell but for good reason. HMPFF

GorgeousPuddin said...

First, I would be offended and would inquire why? us?

Second, I DIED@my laptop got hooked on crack and I had to send it to rehab. Unfortunately in rehab it did some soul searching and decided it didn't want to be a working laptop anymore....

angela said...

Great post. I use to teach school and I would never JUST send clothes home without the parents asking. I would post in a newsletter that used uniform shirts and bottoms were available. I even asked for parents to donate some. Cool post though!

luvlymskrissy said...

I'm all for taking the uniforms back and asking why they gave them to me to begin with. And ask them, did you know this shit. . . Stuff is broken? I think I might just be offended as well.

Ms. Camile said...

sometimes people just try to help but I feel that it was a very bad judgment call on their end. Drama doesn't equal poverty.