25 February 2011

The Joys of Contracting pt 2

Let me start this by saying I love my job. I love what I do and who I work with. There are things that just suck about it though. See i'm a federal contractor as being a contractor you have to accept that whenever your contract it up you may or may not have the same deal on the next contract. My contract was up and it was a huge mess, I ended up with a new company doing the same work. Thats the good part, the bad part is my health insurance doubled and the coverage isn't as good. Since I'm at a new company I get less leave and I'm starting at zero. So any time I have to take off means I'm either working over to make up the time or taking leave without pay. Lets just say that last month my check was $700 short because of snow and sick days.

So despite working on a new contract one of the other benefits of working on a government contract is sitting back and listening to the news talk about a government shutdown. Have you heard about this? If congress doesn't agree on a budget by March 4th then the govt shuts down.

Whats that mean? Well for government workers it means they will get a couple days off, unpaid. At least until a new budget is agreed upon then they will get back pay thanks to the union. As a contractor we get nothing. We get sent home on a nice unpaid vacay. At least it will give me some time to look for a new gig.

I'll take this time to remind myself that I'm blessed to be able to weather these storms and not lose my mind or my house.

4 comments:

Reggie said...

I wish that I could say that I love my job, I don't. What I can say is that my job pays my mortgage....that's about it. Love or even like of my job isn't part of my reality.

RealHustla said...

Now see I tweeted about this and i guess no one believed me. I'm not part of a union. I hope its only a couple of days If it happens.

SincerelyGo said...

At this point in my life I'm still changing jobs until I reach my career goals. I found it easier to deal with when I purchased insurance on my own with bluecross/blueshield. And just paid it straight out. Just me I was paying like $125 AT FIRST. At the moment I don't have any health insurance, I'm somewhere in between a healthier me a healthy America and God I hope nothing happens to me while I'm in transition.I've even had to tell guys don't play so rough with me I don't have have health insurance at the moment. But good luck with that honey.

God's Favorite Shoes! said...

Okay...who in the hell is scared of Giants? And how often do they run into giants? And one is the qualification for being a giant?

...this made me laugh, obviously...because I needed it:)