04 April 2011

Paying it forward

I've mentioned a couple times how I've been blessed. My 1 new years resolution was to give back whenever I could. I've done this a couple ways. First by hosting Dinners/BBQ's at my house where I invite anyone who wanted to come. People come, eat and laugh and leave happy. Everyone seems to enjoy it, even LMS asks when the next one is every other day.

I've also just tried to be more supportive to my friends and family. If they have a event and ask me to come out I try my best to make it and show support. I also help those in need. At work we have Job Corps interns. These are kids who for whatever reason end up in the jobs corps program. They usually come from bad situations and are using job corps as a way to learn a trade and gain stable employment. They are unpaid interns and are given brown bag lunches. They wear salvation army clothes, basically they are poor kids trying to do right. So when one came in dressed in a shirt, slacks, tie and the most busted dress shoes I've seen in a long while I decided to buy him some new ones. Why? because he needed it, hes a good kid who has to endure sitting near me and all my jokes. Trust me that's like a separate job lol.

This is how I know I'm getting old. Before I would have just made jokes but now I feel compelled to help. In a different life (before fatherhood) I was a selfish bastard, before I had a kid my mom was worried I was too selfish to manage it. I didn't understand it then but now I do. I'm much more of a giving person now, always being focused on yourself gets old. Or as one book I read put it "Me Me Me, is Dull Dull Dull". At some point you realize that you really do get satisfaction from giving. As corny as it sounds just making people happy really is a reward. One key point of it is to never expect to get anything in return. If you loan money, never expect to see it again just consider it a gift. If you buy someone a gift don't sit and wait for them to get you one. You have to do stuff just because you want to, not because you want that person to owe you. Don't keep score, your only reward has to be that feeling that you did well and that person is happy. Hell sometimes they don't even say thanks! even then you have to just be happy that you tried and move on.

14 comments:

Single Ma said...

That was very nice of you. I bet he appreciates those shoes. Even if he doesn't, you followed your heart. To whom much is given, much is required.

Monique said...

That's so sweet Dave! It's funny how I look back over your blog and see how you've transformed over the years. You've been through it dude (we were all there with you) and here you are. Keep doing your thing.

Kingsmomma said...

I enjoyed reading this dave and you can bet that those shoes made him and probably his family tear up and you know he will pay it forward.

Jazzy said...

Awwww...very very nice of you. I need to do more to pay it forward as well.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

I wish your mother could read this blog post...she would be soooo proud!

Alovelydai said...

Again...way to go Super Nice Dave!!

Adrienne said...

Awwww that was so sweet Dave!

chele said...

Great post! You planted a very positve seed in that young man's life. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Another good post Dave!!! That is so true it is more rewarding to give than to receive.

Towanna

Anonymous said...

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I have a son that went to Job Corp. He was nothing like you describe the kids to be at all, although I do believe you are right in your assesment. It was a way for me to keep from killing him when he was going through his HORRIBLE teenage years. He had lost his daggone mind!! ... but I digress.. Job Corps was a life saver for him and our family. My son is in college now and in the honors program. It is wonderful to know that you opened your heart to that young man... who knows... it may be something he never forgets... and when he is in a position to, will pay it forward as well.

Bravo Dave!

SincerelyGo said...

I had my violin ready to play when you spoke of the busted shoes. I thought you gave him a pair of yours but you bought him a pair. Now that's impressive sir. Yep. I'm caring and giving on my terms of course. I give my restaurant leftovers to homeless people. But I forgot some of their asses be Schizo and I'm not trying to be a victim. Lol but umm. Good job.

Sincerely,

Go

dejanae said...

awww
good look on the shoes
sometimes folks dont realize how the little things matter

Chocolate Mom aka Blupoetres said...

I think it's wonderful that you have made a conscience effort to give back. It definitely speaks to your character.

Parenthood in general helps to teach so much about ourselves.

Great blog by the way...stop by mine anytime.
http://chocolatemomrants.blogspot.com/

Queen of My Castle said...

This made me smile. Hi! First time here :D