13 May 2011

The Dating Game

I've been asked like 4 times in the last month if I was back dating yet. From everyone to my boys to my daughters therapist. It seems I'm not allowed to take a break. Somehow me not resuming my dating adventures baffles people, they make me feel like I haven't gone out in 7 years when reality is its been like 7 months. I know single moms who are too consumed being a mom to date. They make excuses and hide behind the label "mom". Trust me, I'm not them. I'm still adjusting to this juggling act of being a single dad and trying to reprogram this little girl. I don't want to add dating to it, I have more to worry about then finding a mate.

Besides I don't even miss dating. The whole idea of it isn't as exciting to me as it once was. I used to look forward to all the awkwardness of it, the reading of body language all the unsaid rules. It was fun, now? blah I'd rather get some extra sleep. When I mentioned it to my friend, we'll call her "Cosmopolite" just google it, she said "I just assume you have a lot of female friends, they fill in the space of what you want from women now and when you feel like it, you'll actually look for a real gf" Ahh how my friends know me so well lol. Its important to have friends who understand you but that's a different post. Cosmopolite is right, I have enough people around me to fill in most the gaps of not being in a relationship. the gaps that are not filled I'm not that interested in filling right now. Honestly I can't see me fostering a relationship right now, my head just isn't in it.

Its funny to see other peoples reaction though. When a woman says she isn't dating, people comment that its a good time to reflect on the men she choose and give her a chance to grow. when I say it people tilt their head to the side like I've been possessed by something. I get offers to be hooked up and questioned about what I'm doing to meet women. Like I'm new to this dating thing, they just can't seems to grasp that I'm good.

In life I've learned that all things happen when they are supposed to. I'll get back to the dating adventures soon just let me have a minute to get things right at home. Besides did I mention how awesome my dishwasher was? All I need is a maid and I'll be set! lol

12 comments:

Jazzy said...

I'll admit I find it strange for you (even though I'm not dating either), but it's your fault. you're the same dude that had a girlfriend for a week, then was seeing some one else the next week (or something like that!), soooo yeah...but I totally understand why you are taking a breather. being a new full-time single parent, is a huge adjustment for you and for LMS...dating will come later.

Hopefully LMS won't treat the new girl as bad as I treated my dad's new girl friend when I was a kid. Man...I was seven and I made her life a living hell.

Thoughtsofsoutherngal said...

LOL @ Jazz blaming you.

I'm the same way with having people around me. I never looked at it that way until now.

You and that dishwasher! LOL

Cas... said...

I completely understand. Take some time to handle your business and then you can be on the prowl. Be encouraged...

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Actually it's a very wise and mature thing to do...I'm proud of you for making those choices for your daughter.

RealHustla said...

You have friends you just have sex with? BOO!

Monique said...

Breaks are good, especially with everything you've been through. Embrace that time. And unfortunately it sucks that people think single dads can't hide behind the single dad label as well. Y

12kyle said...

I'm wit you, Dave! Leave em alone. They are trouble! *snickers* @ Jazz

Take your time, bruh. It'll come

Ms. Camile said...

they want to hook you up because you're a dope guy! lol but it takes courage to wait and do things in your own time. i was single for four years before I got married and people wore me OUT badgering me about dating. when it happens, it will happen!

AGFTMW said...

I am ready to get out of the rut that I'm in and actually date. But, like you, the thought of all of the rules and unknowns don't sound so appealing. One step at a time...

Ms. Behaving said...

Everybody has their thoughts on what other people should and shouldn't be doing.

I say as long as you're happy being single, to hell with everybody else's opinion.

Anonymous said...

When your ready, and when the right person comes along you will just click. Nothing wrong with giving LMS the adjustment period before adding new people to her life that may or may not be in it for the long haul. You are right when women take time out to play the "mom" card, no one questions them, maybe its because we expect less from men

Monique said...

Hey, I found your blog from a follower of mine. I Can definitely relate to your situation, but it is a bit reversed since I'm the mom. You can tell that you care a lot for your daughter, and that you keep her first in all of your decision making. Keep up the great work!