07 June 2011

The Only Constant is Change...

I've officially entered into the next stage of my court life.... Custodial parent. I went to court and for the first time I was on the other side and let me tell you its a hell of a lot less stressful. Usually in court I'm nervous, today I was cool, more irritated that I had to take off work then anything.

See BM was understandably unhappy with the visitation arrangement, I mean how do you explain to people why they NEVER see you with your daughter? oh wait I know how since I had to do it.... never mind. Hell I was unhappy with the arrangement too. One can only sit in the car and "supervise" for so long before you go crazy. Especially once that summer heat hit. The last couple times I ended up going to a bar across the street from chuck e cheese while they visited. Wait did I mention that we had a schedule that was a mix of 3 hours at chuck e cheese and 2 hours at the library? yeah it was cool but I hated waiting. When we first arrange the schedule I suggested we could re-visit it once school was out. Since that time is here it was time to change.

She put in a motion to have visitation changed to unsupervised and we agreed on a schedule that will gradually give her more time until she has every other weekend by the time summer is over.

Short story from court.... as were waiting for out case to be called these parents are before the judge, this lady owes 20k in back child support and the dad wants her to get locked up. The lady says "I'm disability" and tells the judge how she is bi-polar and only gets $500 a month from social security. She is supposed to pay $200 a month for her 2 kids. So as they are talking my lawyer nudges me and says thats going to be me in the future. It was funny because it was true. Only my BM is smarter then this lady. Which is bad for me.

Anyway, part of me is worried about LMS spending more time with her mom but reality is there is not enough in her past that would prevent her from having unsupervised visitation. Even shitty parents get see their kids on the weekend if they want to. I could have dragged it out a couple more months but really whats the point of that. I'd rather start this schedule during the summer so by the time school starts back up we are all settled.

So with this change I'll have more idle/bored time, which means that sometime after I finally start pushing my BBQ sauce I'll probably start dating again. Me and boredom don't mix well and the best cure I have for boredom is dating. So ya'll can look forward to crazy first date stories. This should be an interesting summer.

6 comments:

sayitlikethis said...

You're so mature. I wish the families on my caseload would recognize that. Although I handle child abuse & neglect cases, the root of 75% of my cases is a custody battle and the parents not getting along so they throw allegations around. I always feel bad for the kid.

And you're right. Until BM is certifiably crazy with an FDA stamp, she'll get to spend time with LMS. Let's hope she brings her sane self to the visitations.

Monique said...

Keep your eye on the BM of yours. LOL I hope you have some fun this summer.

ShaBoogiesince1982 said...

I swear I can't keep up with your dating life. You randomly post about girlfriends I swear fo' God I don't ever see break up stories! Whatevs..lol

You're right -- its the crazy ones that are always smart. But, I think its good you're letting her have visits with LMS, as she grows up she'll be able to judge for herself that her mom is nuts.

Anonymous said...

Okay when did you break up with the last girlfriend. I can't keep up with your dating. LOL! I do look forward to the dating stories and maybe the cooking blog can get some love also. I know you not gonna keep the pumpkin bars up until next halloween are you?

Whats the hold up with the sauce? I thought I would have been able to meet you at the Safeway by now and get a bottle.

Towanna

Anonymous said...

Its so true even Shitty parents can get every other weekend if they want it. Be happy that your daughter can get a chance to know her mom, down the road she can make her own decision about how much she wants to see her. Its a chance for you to do some stuff for yourself and those every other weekends are good for catching up on house stuff and all the things you never have time for. I personally think dating should wait for a while...you waited this long, what if crazy baby momma just decided to not show, or starts acting all nutty on visits??? Why throw another girl in the mix? Not fair to you, LMS, and the prospective GF!!!
You are one hell of a dude to put up with all this crap for so long...Keep it real !!

Adrienne said...

Im praying there is NO more drama on your end and that y'all can really settle into a great routine before school starts back. Amen. :)